Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Regeneration—Your Way

I spent some time on the phone with a healer yesterday and part of our conversation was about how I regenerate myself. How do you regenerate? Do you do enough of it? In fact, do you even know how to regenerate yourself? A lot of people, if my clientele is any indication, haven’t a clue about self-regeneration.

For me, I have to be alone. I have to have silence. No TV. No radio. No music, even of my own choosing, although sometimes Baroque music will help. I can be reading, writing, playing solitaire or just sitting. Time spent with people doesn’t regenerate me; it costs me. It took me years to figure this out.

Everyone has her or his own style of self-regeneration, and it is mandatory that we find it, and use it. When we don’t, the consequences are too high. We make choices we have to unmake. We say yes when we mean no. We end up in situations we know don’t nurture us.

Exercise regenerates a lot of folk. So does music or a personal hobby. Sleep is a big one, and we don’t get enough of it. Travel can be regenerating, even for me, even with people. Reading is always a good one. Writing in a journal or on a blog. The point is to seek until we find what works and then do it.

Making a difference in our world is important, but without regenerating the self, we burn out. I think there’s too much burn-out in our world because we don’t take/make the time. Everyone has the same number of hours in a day all over the world. How we spend those hours is up to us.

If you are already a regenerator, bravo! If you’re not, take it as an assignment to begin to learn how to regenerate yourself. Then do it! The world is depending upon it.

No comments: