Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Right or Wrong?

In the past week, I’ve spoken with several clients whom, at bottom line, were consistently making themselves wrong for all sorts of things. I kept asking them to tell me what was right instead of what was wrong.

At one point in my life, I spent a lot of time sighing. Every time, my partner would ask me what was wrong. I finally hollered that the question itself was forbidden! “From now on, you’re only allowed to ask me ‘What’s right?’”

We like to make these two ends of a spectrum so black and white. Is it right? Is it wrong? Fifty years of life experience tell me that there are thousands of shades of grey and that right and wrong fit in that spectrum.

Right for whom? Wrong for whom? Right and wrong when it comes to hurting others is simple and clear to me. But continually living focused on what’s wrong is a recipe for wrongness as far as I’m concerned.

So I’m asking you, What’s right?

Keep focusing on what’s right, and a lot more will be right very soon.

No comments: