Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Unlikely Allies

Reading the latest issue of Ode Magazine, the two words above caught my eye. They’ve stayed with me for more than an hour. In our hyper cyberworld, that's a long time.

Have you ever met, worked with, discovered, created, found unlikely allies? Have you ever been one? I’d venture that most of us have had both experiences.

The thing about unlikely allies that’s so important is that we can’t really anticipate them. That’s why they or we are unlikely.

Readers of this blog know I am a novelist. I have been writing novels for more than ten years. Today, on the phone to discover how I might acquire the lyric reprint rights for the first book, Oklahoma! Hex, I spoke to a young woman whom I could never have anticipated would be my ally. She will be, though.

This is why it’s important to reach out to those who qualify as likely allies because through that discipline you hold yourself open to unlikely allies.

Remember this? A stranger is simply a friend you have not yet met. Unlikely allies? Likewise.

No comments: