Wednesday, January 2, 2008

100% Responsible

We’ve all heard it in all sorts of consciousness circles. We have to/get to take one hundred percent responsibility for our lives and our experiences, so that we can change them. In the past two days, I have heard of a take on one hundred percent responsibility that has solidified a long-standing idea of mine.

When I say we are one hundred percent responsible, I mean it. I mean that whatever we encounter is our responsibility. It’s the “absolutist” posture of the turn of the century metaphysicians. If you so much as hear of . . . fill in the blank, it’s on your radar to address and heal.

This includes Osama bin Laden, pigeons, pollution, climate change, the dry Christmas tree in the living room, health issues, wealth issues, work issues, relating of all kinds, a president you like or don’t like, pundits, articles, a war you do or don’t believe in. EVERYTHING without exception. If it’s in your experience, it’s yours to deal with.

It’s hard not to get overwhelmed.

Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len agrees with me. He’s the co-author, with Dr. Joe Vitale, of a new book called Zero Limits. If I could, I’d buy a copy for everyone on earth and ask them to read it, consider the premise, and commit to its practice for thirty days.

Based upon an ancient Hawaiian healing technique called Ho’oponopono, it’s all about the use of four healing phrases all the time. They are:

Thank you.
I’m sorry.
Please forgive me.
I love you.


The acronym I use to help me remember the phrases is T.I.P.I.—a sometime old spelling used in crossword puzzles for first peoples’ homes found in North America.

The system is for repentance, forgiveness and transmutation. Like the old metaphysicians, it allows us to see our own participation (even if it’s just awareness) in the existence of a problem. The repetition of one or two or three or all four of the phrases cleans up the mess both for your own awareness and for the problem itself.

2008 is a bright, shining promise of a new year for each one of us. Shall we do the work we can to make our home, our selves, our lives, our minds the bright, shining beacons of love they were meant to be?


P.S. If you want my T.I.P.I. document to print out, email me: seedsdrcorso@comcast.net. I'll gladly send it to you as a gift for the beginning of this wondrous new year.

No comments: