Friday, September 26, 2008

Poetic Anatomy

Seeds X, 39

Seed: Poetic Anatomy

Many of you have read Elizabeth Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love, I’m sure. If you haven’t, give it to yourself as a gift. It’s transcendent. This Seed comes from her book. At one point, she writes, “There exists in each human being a literal anatomy and a poetic anatomy.” I love this idea.

All able-bodied folk have the standard human inventory. I don’t have to list the items. But what of a poetic anatomy? What might that be? For my 5’4” self, part of that poetry is a me that is 5’10” tall. Another part of that poetry is the totally healthy me. Another line in that poem of my anatomy declares that I can eat anything and my metabolism will handle it.

Poetry doesn’t always top our lists in terms of artistic expression. We think it takes a rarified talent to create poetry and an even more rarified one to enjoy it. But what if you were to consider your body and its anatomy as a poem for a moment? Would you be a sonnet? Haiku? Free verse? Iambic pentameter? Dr. Seussian? Twas the Night Before Christmas-like? A combination?

There would probably be as many poetic anatomies as there are literal anatomies. If you get a second this weekend, grab an unlined sheet of paper, and write the poem of your current anatomy. A couple days later, try the poem of your ideal anatomy. Oh what a difference a vision makes!

Be content,

Susan Corso

Dr. Susan Corso

Seeds are remarkable gifts. Sown in consciousness, they bring you to the most important part of your being—your Divine Spark.

When you have friends you would like added to the Seeds e-mail list, send their addresses to me at SeedsDrCorso@comcast.net and please visit my blogs Ode Magazine, and The Huffington Post.

No comments: