Friday, March 28, 2008

Prognosis

Seeds X, 13

Seed: Prognosis

So, once we understand diagnosis, of course, the next word to think about is prognosis. It too derives from Greek roots meaning to know beforehand. What I want to ask is: do we really know beforehand?

Medicine, as practiced in North America, at this point in human history, has become what those who practice it call “evidence-based.” Evidence-based? It means, literally, by what they see (see the beginnings of our word, video, in there?). Actually, I think it’s a code word because how it plays out these days is medicine by the numbers.

Statistics, percentages, studies. If X number of women get breast cancer, then X number will this and Y number will that. You are part of group Z, and so we can deduce that . . . you take my point, I’m sure.

Here is what my friend came to know, and what we all can know in the faces of scary diagnoses: the prognosis is up to us. Doctors don’t really know beforehand for any given individual. What they know are the trends of the past. Our own spirits, our bodily individualities, our souls participate in the prognosis, and that, for me, is a huge relief.

Be content,

Susan Corso

Dr. Susan Corso

Seeds are remarkable gifts. Sown in consciousness, they bring you to the most important part of your being—your Divine Spark.

When you have friends you would like added to the Seeds e-mail list, send their addresses to me at SeedsDrCorso@comcast.net and please visit my blog Ode Magazine.

No comments: