Friday, March 21, 2008

Diagnosis

Seeds X, 12

Seed: Diagnosis

A woman I know and love has spent the last seven months learning about and living through a breast cancer diagnosis. No one should go through such a morass. No one. My friend has come through the process valiantly. I’m so proud of her.

One of the things a dear friend of hers said at the moment of the diagnosis was that famous truism, “A diagnosis is not a prognosis.” It got me thinking.

Diagnosis, according to the OED, derives from the Greek; it means, literally, through knowledge. But you know me by now. I don’t always take everyday words at their face value. Let’s take the word apart differently.

Dia = day + gnosis = knowledge.

What if a diagnosis is simply what we know today? Doesn’t that put it in a little more perspective? What we know today is what we know today and what we learn tomorrow can change what we know today in the twinkling of an eye, and that, my dear one, is WHY a diagnosis is nowhere near a prognosis.

Be content,

Susan Corso

Dr. Susan Corso

Seeds are remarkable gifts. Sown in consciousness, they bring you to the most important part of your being—your Divine Spark.

When you have friends you would like added to the Seeds e-mail list, send their addresses to me at SeedsDrCorso@comcast.net and please visit my blog Ode Magazine.

No comments: