Friday, May 4, 2007

Apology II

Seeds IX, 18

Seed: Apology II

When you apologize, do you mean it? Or, do you apologize because it’s good form? Or a necessary rite? Do you take a full stop to apologize, or do you use it as a tool to get past whatever the discomfort?

Ms. Quindlen writes about true apology as having four parts. The first is admitting a fault.

This can be a difficult rite of passage. Somehow we don’t like to be at fault. I think it’s because fault is closely allied with blame, and the blame game and the shame game resemble each other too often. Deciphered, this means, when we’re at fault, we’re ashamed.

Why? Whose rule is it that to be at fault means we ought to be ashamed? And what a silliness! When I do something wrong, whether it’s mis-conjugating a foreign word or betraying the trust of someone I care about, I’m at fault, but I don’t need to be ashamed.

Our western culture associates being at fault with weakness. Do you? I don’t. Being at fault means I still have things to learn. Sure, it’s a deficiency in me, but one that can be corrected.

Be serene,

Dr. Susan Corso

Seeds are remarkable gifts. Sown in consciousness, they bring you to the most important part of your being—your Divine Spark.

When you have friends you would like added to the Seeds e-mail list, send their addresses to me at SeedsDrCorso@comcast.net

No comments: