Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mentor

Seeds IX, 24

Seed: Mentor

Mentoring has been around since the Greeks. It was originally a proper noun; the name of the Ithacan nobleman whose disguise the goddess Athena took in order to guide and advise young Telemachus. The word has become part of common business parlance. A mentor is a trusted counselor.

Newsweek had a full-page ad devoted to National Mentoring Month (it’s January, for those who want to know). There are websites devoted to mentoring: www.mentoring.org, and www.whomentoredyou.org. Do you have a mentor? Do you want one?

I have had several mentors in my life. They all taught me something; some still do. They all watched my back; some still do. I take the word mentor a little differently than the OED does. Ment- as a prefix means mind, as in our word mental. A mentor has often minded me and my choices. Other times, my mentors have re-minded me.

It’s June as you receive this Seeds. Even though it’s not National Mentoring Month (the 7th annual one will be January 2008), call your mentors today. Thank them for helping you to mind yourself.

Be serene,

Dr. Susan Corso

Seeds are remarkable gifts. Sown in consciousness, they bring you to the most important part of your being—your Divine Spark.

When you have friends you would like added to the Seeds e-mail list, send their addresses to me at SeedsDrCorso@comcast.net

No comments: