Monday, June 16, 2008

Recording Mex

Here’s a sneak preview of what’s coming from my latest project. My sweetie and I decided to record my first novel and release it as a “paperless book” on audio. We did the recording in two days! Almost nine hours of book.

The name of the book is Oklahoma! Hex and it’s the first in a series called The Spiritual Adventures of Mex Stone. According to the engineer, we ought to have our first edit from him in two weeks, and are we excited!

You see, I’ve been writing these books for eleven years—with joy. In love with my characters and their plots, my books don’t fit into the pigeonholes that agents and publishers seem to like, bless them.

Here’s the promo paragraph on this first book:

The Spiritual Adventures of Mex Stone


Mex’s Backstory

Based in New York City, Mexicali Rose “You can call me Mex” Stone is above all a human being having a spiritual experience. She’s an intuitive investigator who solves her cases from the inside out. By listening to the inner voice who Mex calls Spirit, she catches her culprit, and always learns something about herself.


U.S. passport in her purse, Mex finds herself summoned in all directions: way south to Tierra del Fuego, up north to the Western Isles of Scotland, east to the Mafiosi underground of Japan, at home on Broadway and up the Hudson to her country home. In between Mex manages to fall in (and out) of love with gifted women from whom she learns and with whom she grows spiritually.

Where has Mex Stone been? (The first six . . . already written, and ready to go.)

Oklahoma! Hex finds Mex on Broadway solving the murder of Oklahoma!’s pore Jud. An old flame and producer calls her into the mix, and she works with her favorite cop, Michael Ryan Kelley. The cast of Oklahoma! is infiltrated with Santería practitioners. She ends up in Tierra del Fuego, the southern-most inhabited point in the world, as she faces down the leader of a worldwide web of evil. She meets her Divine Right Partner, Veronica, and of course, she falls in love.

There are five more in the series and many more planned.

The wildest thing about this is that I’m used to being ahead of my time. When I found the engineer (Keith Richardson is his name and he’s an angel—especially for remote, live recordings. If you need his services, email me, and I’ll send you his number gladly.), I realized that it was time for everything to come together for this project.

In short order . . .

I got the lyric reprint rights
Found the engineer
Found a web designer who spoke my language
Connected with a publicist who wants to play
Made a limited partnership with my sweetie, an angel in the Broadway sense, who funded it
Got the URL http://www.shulamithburton.com/ (not live yet)

You see the trend here, I’m sure. Get clear, Beloved. Stay with your visions till you’re clear. Stick with it. Persevere. Go for it. Once you’re clear, the Universe conspires to put all the people, places and things in your path that you need.

Watch these pages for an announcement that the website is ready to go!

No comments: